WHY JOIN MIPA?
The Mercer Island Preschool Association (MIPA), established in 1937, is a private non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to enhancing the lives of children from newborn through kindergarten in Mercer Island and the community at large.
What we do:
- Build a Community: Meet other Mercer Island families at family-friendly events or social gatherings. MIPA is a volunteer-run organization and a great way to get involved in the local community. Your contributions directly impact our children!
- Fundraise: We believe that every dollar raised should go directly back into supporting and serving our own community. MIPA partners with Mercer Island Youth & Family Services (MIYFS) to assist low-income Mercer Island families with preschool tuition and the City of Mercer Island to improve the playgrounds on the island.
- Advocate: MIPA serves as a voice of preschools and families of preschool-aged children on Mercer Island. We work with the City of Mercer Island and other Community Groups to ensure safe, fun, and full-filling parks and programs on the island.
- Organize Community Events: Every year we organize several events for the local community. Toy Swap and Circus help raise funds to support our community. Preschool Fair and Summer Concerts are free community events.
Benefits of membership include:
- Playgroups: MIPA playgroups form every year based on interest. Playdates are held at members’ homes and at parks in good weather.
- Family Events: Organized meet-ups of families and kids at various parks, locales and homes
- Adult Socials: Join us for fun and educational adult social events throughout the year – Book Club, Moms’ Night Out, Parents’ Night Out, and Holiday Party!
- Community Service: Funds raised at our events support local playgrounds and preschool scholarships
- PTA Legislative Updates: Keep up-to-date via member meetings and newsletter updates on what is happening in the legislature regarding our children’s education.
- Discounts: With your MIPA membership card, you can receive discounts on products and services from many local businesses.
COVID-19 In-Person Event Attendance Policy
***Updated as of 09/16/2021**MIPA requires all adults to be fully vaccinated to attend in-person events. We now require proof of vaccination to attend in-person events. Fully vaccinated means two weeks after your second dose of Pfizer or Moderna; or two weeks after your single J&J vaccine. Please provide proof of your vaccination by doing one of the following:
- Email a photo of your vaccination card to MIPAeditor@gmail.com
- If you’re not comfortable emailing an image of your vaccination card, please email MIPAeditor@gmail.com to coordinate alternative ways with Sharon Walia or Lesley Malakoti.
Per the latest mask mandate, masks are required for indoor gatherings and outdoor gatherings of 500 or more. At this time, they are not required for smaller outdoor gatherings but are encouraged if you can't safely social distance. We will continue to require that masks be worn if members cannot safely social distance at an event.
While the health guidance and requirements are constantly changing, we are focused on creating an environment where we can be safe while finding ways to connect. Many of us are in higher-risk populations (i.e., pregnant or with children under 1), and all of us have children that are not yet eligible to be vaccinated. We want everyone to feel welcomed, included, and above all, know that we are doing our best during these difficult times. We will continue to update this policy and events as guidance changes throughout the year.
We thank you for your understanding.
Lesley & Sharon
MIPA Co-Presidents 2021-2022