THE CIRCUS IS COMING TO TOWN ON MAY 1!
VOLUNTEER TO JOIN THE FUN!
We are thrilled to announce the return of our beloved Circus in a virtual format, May 1 – 9, marking the 53rd year for this cherished event.
Pull up a spot on the sofa and get ready to laugh as NYC's famous Sammie & Tudie treat us to a custom "Comedy Magic Circus Show" performance. Before the show starts, pick up your family's swag bag so your kids have the props to participate. Show will be pre-recorded, so you can watch whenever is convenient for your family during that week.
Buy your tickets and reserve your goodie bag at www.MIPACircus.com.
Additionally, the MIPA ringmasters are working hard to see whether we will be able to bring in-person options to the big tent. They will again deviate from our traditional Circus, but will be filled with fun. In order to make that happen, we need volunteers. Opportunities range in time commitment and all will be great opportunities to connect with other members.
If you are interested in helping, even in the smallest of ways, we so appreciate you adding your name to the interested volunteer Signup Genius here or email MIPACircus@gmail.com. Volunteers get priority ticket access for any in person events!
mipa's virtual preschool fair
MIPA has hosted our in-person Preschool Fair for many years and it’s a great opportunity for families to learn more about local options for their young children. This year, we are excited to share information virtually. All the information is on the event page here, including a detailed spreadsheet about the schools and daycares as well as links, photographs, and some fantastic videos. Enjoy and share with your friends!
mi holiday lights drive Recap
We were blown away by the community support for the MI Holiday Lights Drive! We received 684 orders and raised over $8,800 for MIYFS Food Bank and emergency assistance programs! We thank everyone who participated by purchasing a map, gifting a map, and donating. We are also extremely grateful to the houses that participated on the Snowflake Way and Candy Cane Way routes- you brought so much heart and cheer to our island and we were overwhelmed by all the positive feedback from families who enjoyed your displays.
TOY SWAP IS A WRAP!
Thank you to everyone who supported our Toy Swap fundraiser this year! With your donations, purchases, and/or volunteering time we had a very successful event. If you purchased items at the sale, please check your email or text messages for details about pickup.
HALLOWEEN THANK YOU
Thank you to all the families who supported MIPA and are helping make Halloween 2020 more fun with the "We've Been Treated" Yard Signs. We are now sold out of the signs -- they went fast! We so enjoy seeing them around town. Have a safe and festive Halloween!
It is time to renew your mipa membership! Join MIPA/ RENEW today!
Why Join MIPA?
The Mercer Island Preschool Association (MIPA), established in 1937, is a private non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to enhancing the lives of children from newborn through kindergarten in Mercer Island and the community at large.
What we do:
- Build a Community: Meet other Mercer Island families at family-friendly events or social gatherings. MIPA is a volunteer-run organization and a great way to get involved in the local community. Your contributions directly impact our children!
- Fundraise: We believe that every dollar raised should go directly back into supporting and serving our own community. MIPA partners with Mercer Island Youth & Family Services (MIYFS) to assist low-income Mercer Island families with preschool tuition and the City of Mercer Island to improve the playgrounds on the island.
- Advocate: MIPA serves as a voice of preschools and families of preschool-aged children on Mercer Island. We work with the City of Mercer Island and other Community Groups to ensure safe, fun, and full-filling parks and programs on the island.
- Organize Community Events: Every year we organize several events for the local community. Toy Swap and Circus help raise funds to support our community. Preschool Fair and Summer Concerts are free community events.
Benefits of membership include:
- Playgroups: MIPA playgroups form every year based on interest. Playdates are held at members’ homes and at parks in good weather.
- Family Events: Organized meet-ups of families and kids at various parks, locales and homes
- Adult Socials: Join us for fun and educational adult social events throughout the year – Book Club, Moms’ Night Out, Parents’ Night Out, and Holiday Party!
- Community Service: Funds raised at our events support local playgrounds and preschool scholarships
- PTA Legislative Updates: Keep up-to-date via member meetings and newsletter updates on what is happening in the legislature regarding our children’s education.
- Discounts: With your MIPA membership card, you can receive discounts on products and services from many local businesses.
LETTER FROM OUR Board
July 8, 2020
Dear MIPA Members,
Welcome to a new year! While a tremendous amount has changed and uncertainty remains for the time being, we look forward to another year of friendships, support, and great times. Whether in-person, virtual, or both, MIPA is excited to continue our mission to support the community and foster meaningful connections. Play groups, book clubs, and social events may occur through platforms such as Zoom if needed, but the opportunity for friendships and socialization remains. We hope to be able to offer some of the great events MIPA looks forward to every year, such as Toy Swap and the Circus.
If you haven't already, please find us on Facebook (Mercer Island Preschool Association) and 'Like" our page to receive updates on your newsfeed. We are excited for what will, no doubt, be a memorable year with you!
- Lesley Malakoti
- Laura Schaps
- Kristin Rahlfs
- Sharon Walia
- Marta Prieto
VP Community Events
- Gretchen Anderson
- Danielle Melin
- Ashley Hay
- Hilarie Galloway
- Natasha Garcia
- Jennifer Almond
- Sarah Siler
- Summer Ohno
- Laura Schultink
- Julie Frey
- Erin Erickson
- Claudia Yong
- Danielle Laskey
- Karen Chan
- Shannon Smith
- Allison Kawano
Toy Swap Chairs
- TWO OPEN POSITIONS
- TWO OPEN POSITIONS
- Rochelle Givens
- Cassie Locke
- Kayla Locke
- Emily Vavrichek
Board Member at Large
- Susan Conrad-Wang