the 2022-2023 Executive board
President: Rachel Blum
Vice-President: Lesley Malakoti
Sr. Membership Chair: Allison Kawano
Jr. Membership Chair: Shannon Smith
Sr. Treasurer: Stephanie Castle
Jr. Treasurer: Kaylee Prior
Sr. Secretary: Helen Weyant
Jr. Secretary: Emily Yu
Non-Executive Board Chairs
Sr. Communications Chair: Jaimie Birtel
Jr. Communications Chair: Hayley Galver
Sr. Social Chair: Laura Schultnik
Jr. Social Chair: Katie Bell
Sr. Development Chair: Loan Anle
Jr. Development Chair: Lindsey Wellmon
Co-Advocacy Chair: Julie Day
Co-Advocacy Chair: Fan Yuan
Preschools Co-Chair: Ritu Sarin
Preschools Co-Chair: Destiny Chirls
Thank you to these members who have volunteered to serve next year!
WHY JOIN MIPA?
The Mercer Island Preschool Association (MIPA), established in 1937, is a private non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to enhancing the lives of children from newborn through kindergarten in Mercer Island and the community at large.
What we do:
- Build a Community: Meet other Mercer Island families at family-friendly events or social gatherings. MIPA is a volunteer-run organization and a great way to get involved in the local community. Your contributions directly impact our children!
- Fundraise: We believe that every dollar raised should go directly back into supporting and serving our own community. MIPA partners with Mercer Island Youth & Family Services (MIYFS) to assist low-income Mercer Island families with preschool tuition and the City of Mercer Island to improve the playgrounds on the island.
- Advocate: MIPA serves as a voice of preschools and families of preschool-aged children on Mercer Island. We work with the City of Mercer Island and other Community Groups to ensure safe, fun, and full-filling parks and programs on the island.
- Organize Community Events: Every year we organize several events for the local community. Toy Swap and Circus help raise funds to support our community. Preschool Fair and Summer Concerts are free community events.
Benefits of membership include:
- Playgroups: MIPA playgroups form every year based on interest. Playdates are held at members’ homes and at parks in good weather.
- Family Events: Organized meet-ups of families and kids at various parks, locales and homes
- Adult Socials: Join us for fun and educational adult social events throughout the year – Book Club, Moms’ Night Out, Parents’ Night Out, and Holiday Party!
- Community Service: Funds raised at our events support local playgrounds and preschool scholarships
- PTA Legislative Updates: Keep up-to-date via member meetings and newsletter updates on what is happening in the legislature regarding our children’s education.
- Discounts: With your MIPA membership card, you can receive discounts on products and services from many local businesses.